Today we talked about the means that Europeans used to "justify" their colonization of Africa.
Your homework is to read "The White Man's Burden" and answer the following questions:
1. How does Kipling describe people who aren’t “white”? What does he achieve by this description?
2. According to Kipling, what is the White Man’s Burden? What do Europeans have to do?
3. What does Kipling claim to be the reward of the White Man’s Burden? (5th stanza)
4. What do you think is the purpose of this poem?
5. What parts of this poem prove that “The White Man’s Burden” is really about imperialism?